Today, we are about to discuss of the best budget Flash for Canon DSLRs. As a hobby photographer, many people tend to enjoy playing with natural light situations so that they can illuminate their sensor. Such practice is always good for learning more and more about the capabilities of your camera and you, of course.
However, there would always be a point in your journey as a professional photographer, where you will feel the need of creating your light conditions rather than relying on natural conditions. If you are here, reading this article, you might have already realized the need for an external flash. If not, keep reading:
Why an External Flash?
Rather than relying on your onboard flash, we highly recommend switching to an external one, as there are many advantages of doing so. Most importantly, it would save you from draining your battery as it comes with the separate power source. Moreover, it is almost ten times powerful and allows you to illuminate objects from the greater distance and wider angle. The flexibility of external flash allows bouncing from different objects in the area rather than just the ceiling. It also reduces the possibility of getting red-eyes.
So now that you have understood what edge you will get by using an external flash, let us continue to the list of best budget flashes for your Canon DSLR:
Here is our list of Flash for Canon DSLRs
New NW565EX E-TTL Slave Speedlite kit:
- Price: $109.99
- Dimension: 15 x 13.94 x 19.76 inches
- Weight: 11 pounds
- Items included: Main flash unit, accessory kit[described below]
With the main flash unit, what you get is a complete accessory kit consisting of a barn door, snoot, honeycomb, reflector, diffuser ball, color gel, Softbox and mount adapter. So many tools in 110 bucks, isn’t that great? Well, these tools surely don’t match the level of high-end products, but considering the price tag and that they are meant for beginners and learners, they’re good in their way.
- High guide no.58 with ISO 1 and 18mm coverage
- Multiple flash modes: TTL, M, FEB, Slave, S1, S2, Multi
- Supports auto/manual zoom, sound prompt, rear curtain sync, FEC, FEB, PC port
- Comes with power saving mode and overheat protection
Yongnuo YN600EX RT-II Wireless flash:
- Price: $111.76
- Dimension: 74 x 4.14 x 8.66 inches
- Weight: 09 pounds
- Items included: Flash unit, protector bag, mini stand, user manual
When it comes to budget flash, this one offers nearly everything possible at this price tag. It works pretty perfectly regarding zoom communication, etc. The flash is fully compatible with diffusers built for OEM canon. The only flaw it possesses that it does not come with a headlock button. This can lead to trouble as the head can hit your hand sometimes while adjusting the body. Rest is good.
- Optical transmission and wireless radio transmission flash shooting support
- Manual and stroboscopic flash
- 15 different channel options
- All units compatible to realize TTL in TTL/M/Multimode
Yongnuo YN968EX RT LED Wireless flash:
- Price: $119.00
- Dimension: 54 x 3.94 x 8.66 inches
- Weight: 25 pounds
- Items included: YN968EX RT flash, mini stand, user manual, original protection box
Every feature stated by the manufacturer tends to work perfectly with most of the canon units in both master and slave mode. It features a LED light indicating the brightness level and also features an option to adjust it. Besides, it also offers a built-in diffuser. This flash unit is ideal for pairing with a fog machine to get lighted background effect. However, it still performs well as main flash/light unit.
- High power LED light with adjustable brightness
- Inbuilt color conversion filter and diffuser
- Supports TTL, manual, multi and GR grouping flash
- High-speed sync [1/8000S]
Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 TT685C:
- Price: $119.95
- Dimension: 11 x 9.13 x 3.15 inches
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Included items: Flashpoint zoom Canon R2 TTL, Flash unit, mini stand, protective case, instruction manual
Flashpoint products have always been popular among learners as well as professionals. This one being no exception is a reliable tool. This flash unit is considered underdog replacement for Nikon 900 flash units. Yes, they are not as powerful, but at given budget, they can always be an ideal option to think about. The Li-ion batteries are quite durable and long-lasting, which makes the product ideal for professionals who cover long events such as marriage ceremony’s, conferences, etc.
- GN 127ft or 34m with ISO 100 and 200mm coverage zoom
- Power recycle time <1.5 seconds
- ETTL remote power control with inbuilt R2 system
Pixel X800C Pro:
- Price: $128.00
- Dimension: 4 x 7.6 x 3.1 inches
- Weight: 1 pounds
- Included items: Flash unit, protective case, manual, mini stand, reflection cap
There are plenty of custom settings making it perfect for inside events, portrait shots, running event, etc. It delivers flawless performance in both manual and ETTL modes by delivering the consistent amount of strong light with comparatively fast recycle time. The zoom range is quite nice, and the flash automatically adjusts itself automatically. Talking about the use, the screen display is easy to read, maneuver and can be turned off when not required. Battery doors are safe and easy to access.
- Supports wireless triggering, master and slave mode
- Recycling time is less than 2.5 seconds
- Supports variety of stroboscopic flash modes included ETTL/M/RPT
- Saves energy with boots voltage and standby mode
Altura Pro Flash AP-C1001 Canon kit:
- Price: $139.99
- Dimension: 7 x 8.3 x 10.2 inches
- Weight: 95 pounds
- Items included: 2 Altura Photo AP-C1001 flashes, two protective pouches, two diffusers, wireless camera flash trigger, one transmitter, two receivers, camera trigger connecting cable, microfiber lens cleaning cloth
For beginners with the limited budget, this one can be a great [and cheap] replacement of Canon Speedlite flashes. It communication performance with the camera is simply awesome. The range is noticeable too. It is entirely compatible with most of the EOS or says Rebel series cameras by Canon. It is praised by most of the users for its broad compatibility and awesome support by the supplier/manufacturer.
- E-TTL compatible with Canon EOS DSLRs
- Supports both off-camera flash and wireless camera triggering up to 100ft
- 1-year warranty by Digital Goja
- 90-day satisfaction guarantee by manufacturer
Yongnuo 560TX, 560IIIx2 Bundle:
- Price: $151.98
- Dimension: 8 x 9.1 x 11.5 inches
- Weight: 95 pounds
- Items included: 2x YN-560II manual flashes, 1x YN560-TX LCD wireless manual flash controller
Considering what a beginner would expect from dedicated flashes, this one does the job perfectly. Setting up radio trigger is not at all a hard task. Follow the manual carefully and there you have your multi-flash system running within minutes. Use it once, and you would hardly refer to any other brand in the future when you require a flash.
- Manual zoom and power controller is compatible with RF602, RF603 and RF603 II triggers
- Variety of flash power and zoom setting options
- Control zoom and power of both flashes directly from big LCD controller
- Built-in wireless trigger system
GODOX V850 TT850:
- Price: $155.00
- Dimension: 1 x 8.2 x 9.3 inches
- Weight: 39 pounds
- Included items: V850 Flash Speedlite, FT-16s trigger, improved VB18 battery
The flash is simple to use as you will not require messing with settings that much. All you have to do is to set up right exposure on your camera. However, this flash is not ideal for multiple flash setups. A big plus for this flash is the separate lithium battery pack that is powerful enough to deliver 450-550 full power flashes once fully charged.
- Compatible with Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and any other camera with standard hot shoe
- 650 full power pops battery capacity with improved vb18 batter [2000MHz]
- Only 1.5 seconds of recycle time
- Full access to flash with wireless ft-16s controller at 1/8000s sync speed
Canon Speedlite 270EX:
- Price: $159.00
- Dimension: 52 x 2.56 x 3.01 inches
- Weight: 5 pounds
- Included items: Flash, protective case, manual
Enhanced bounce range is a great plus for this flash, as well as its price tag. Being a Canon product, it is fully compatible with G, SX PowerShot series and also with EOS Rebel series by Canon. There are many power saving options including switching off focus assist and red-eye reduction. The recycle time is as quick as a second or even less. It will go no more than 2 seconds even after a couple of quick shots.
- Compact and lightweight body, easy setup with camera monitor
- Fully compatible and ideal for G, SX, and EOS Rebel series cameras
- 2-step coverage selection including 28mm and 50mm
- Delivers greater bounce rate
- Price: $190.00
- Dimension: 6 x 2 x 2 inches
- Weight: 7 pounds
- Items included: Flash unit, protective case, manual
It is a replacement or says an upgraded version of the 420EX flash unit. It is the ideal choice for wide angle interior shots. This little thing packs impressive performance. Part from that, the smaller and lighter body design makes it convenient and portable. If you are buying it for every day/personal use, you will be certainly satisfied and feel the change quite quickly.
- Automatic white balance settings selection and automatic zoom flash position adjustment
- 24mm to 105mm coverage extended 14mm coverage with integrated diffusion
- Compatible with both E-TTL II system cameras and non-E-TTL II cameras
- 0-90 degree vertical and 0-180 degree horizontal flash head rotation
We hope you like our list of Flash for Canon DSLRs. While most of them are from 3rd party vendors, they provide us immense value. Most of these provide enough functionality to cater to beginners.
If you have questions or comments, feel free to drop us a comment below. Cheers!